Random (but not really)

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Project Chairs: Update Part Three

If you have spent more than an hour with me, you know I’m not a patient person.

So much of this project is WAITING. GAH. Waiting for wood glue to dry, waiting for resin to dry, waiting for stain to dry… SO. MUCH. WAITING.

Here’s how things have progressed since last week.

I dug and scraped and sanded all the old glue and gunk and everything to get these pieces to fit together again. (Here you can see prior to work, these pieces are held together with about a quarter centimeter of wood glue.)

These pieces fit together better now...

As do these two pieces.  (You can see the new split on the smaller piece.)

I scraped old glue and then sanded the crap out of the broken pieces to see if I could get them to fit back together smoothly.

Scrape glue, sand, scrape glue, sand. Ugh. I hope I'm making this actually better.

I glued everything back together as carefully as I could. After getting the large piece down I remembered I had small paint brushes–those worked best. Then I taped everything down for the resin.

I hate waiting.

Duh duh DUH!

PROOF I wore gloves! I also had a window open! Safety precautions! I did not bond together anything that should not have been permamently stuck together.

Proof I remembered gloves!

In progress. It’s never going to look good, but BY GUM IT WILL BE STURDY. And smooth. And even. Just ugly. (Here’s how it looked before I started.)

It’s possible if I’d be more aggressive with the sanding it might have looked better, but as this wood is mostly likely 100+ years old, I’ve been terrified of using too much force. And the site I found that showed step-by-stop how to use the resin to fill voids also used a power sander to smooth the resin. I’m positive that made things quite different from my sanding by hand.

20170215_114050

Again you can see how the resin filled in the void.

20170215_114202

Three areas visible here that got resin.

20170215_114123

Let me tell you, working with the epoxy is a giant PITA. I ended up peeling everything off and starting again on two different sets of cracks. The second time I was far more sparing in my application of resin. If I’d thought to get tooth picks it probably would have gone easier.

The resin is supposed to be sandable, but I mostly have just (CAREFULLY) used a razor and exacto knife to cut the resin flush with the wood.

Yes, that is as miserable to do as it sounds. But so far, no trips to the ER.

And here’s where things are now. Waiting for stain to dry so I can polyurethane the chair on the right. Left is also waiting to be polyurethaned and for the back to be finished.

20170215_114029

Another note–the wood here is very light. I’m positive that on a darker wood many of the imperfections and repairs would have blended into the grain. But here I’m stuck with repaired cracks and voids that are much darker than the surrounding wood.

2 Responses to “Project Chairs: Update Part Three”

  1. Amy Says:

    For me, repairs add to the patina and character of the piece. Well done!

  2. Michelle Says:

    Well, I’ve got LOTS of character.

    And I just realized the googly eyes are peeking over the chair on the left. :)

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress

books main pictures cats e-mail